- ¼ cup or more canola or cooking oil
- ½-1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup chicken broth or water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 pound potatoes or more peeled cut in medium pieces
- 1 pound carrots and green beans (more or less)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon optional
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon or more curry spice/powder
- 1½ -2 Tablespoons Curry spice/powder
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 3 – 3½ pound chicken thighs (see notes)
- Salt and pepper to taste (or use chicken seasoning)
- Salt to taste
1. Season chicken with, salt, pepper and curry spice and set aside. In a large skillet or non stick pan, heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the chicken and brown on both sides about 4-5 minutes until chicken is brown.
2. Remove chicken and set aside. Drain oil and leave about 2 tablespoons. Add onions, followed by minced garlic, thyme, paprika, curry powder, stir for about 5 minutes, for the flavors to blossom. You may add scotch bonnet now or add it towards the last 45 minutes when adding the vegetables
3. Add coconut milk, water , bay leaf ,and tomato paste; continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Salt I used about 1 teaspoon and ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon (adjust to taste)
4. Place in slow cooker insert, and then add chicken thighs. Gently throw in potatoes. About 45 minutes or an hour before chicken is ready throw in vegetables, continue cooking until chicken and vegetables are ready.
5. Remove adjust for salt if necessary and serve.
Recipe by: African Bites