Trying to feed picky eaters who just won't eat their veggies? Erwan Heussaff is here to help! His moussaka recipe tastes like the ultimate comfort food while being fully loaded with veggies.Do you need help in the kitchen? Tell us on Instagram using the hashtag #tastemademedoit and we just might pick you to be next!Moussaka
2 Large eggplants, cut in ¼ inch thick slices
1 large sweet potato, cut in ¼ inch thick slices
4 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium white onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2lb ground beef
1 28oz can crushes or whole tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
Salt and pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp all spice
4 tbsp of fresh oregano leaves
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut in florets
1/3 cup milk
½ cup grated parmesan
Salt and pepperSTEPS:
1. Pre heat your oven to 400 Farenheit.
2. Slice up your eggplants and sweet potatoes lengthwise. You can season the eggplants with salt and let them rest for 30mins or just brush a baking dish with some olive and lay them on it, brush them with some oil and then season with salt. Do the same thing with your sweet potatoes.
3. This goes into the oven for 20 mins. At the 10 mins mark, make sure to flip them around. Don’t be afraid of getting some char on them. Once done, take them out and turn down oven to 350 F.
4. Heat up a large pan and add in some olive oil. Once hot, sweat out your garlic and onions until fragrant. When you start seeing a little bit of color, fry up your ground beef and just chop it up in the pan, until it is no longer pink. When everything is starting to smell delicious add in some whole canned tomatoes and just crush everything in the pan with some tomato paste, nutmeg, all spice, cinnamon, black pepper and eventually salt to taste. This will simmer away for about 30mins.
5. Get a pot of water boiling. Add in some salt, should taste like the sea. Use a steaming basket and place in your cauliflower florets. Steam for 12mins.
6. Once your sauce is almost ready, toss in your fresh oregano. You know its ready when it’s thick enough to leave your pan exposed for a few seconds.
7. For our bechamel. Take out the cauliflower from the pot and let cool for a few minutes. In a blender, add in some cauliflower with some warm whole milk and parmesan cheese. Just blend everything until nice and silky.
8. Mix in ¼ of your cauliflower bechamel with your ground beef sauce.
9. In a baking dish, layer your sweet potatoes and half of your eggplants. Cover with 2/3 of the beef mix, top with the other half of the eggplants, the rest of the beef mix and all of the cauliflower sauce. For something extra indulgent, cover the top with parmesan cheese.
10. Place in the oven at 350 farenheit for 40mins. You are just looking for a perfectly brown top.
11. Let cool down a little before slicing.
_______________________________________________________Subscribe to Tastemade: http://taste.md/1QsXIWq
LIKE us on Facebook: http://taste.md/1Zf0Bve
FOLLOW us on Instagram: http://taste.md/1OaAv4P
FIND us on Snapchat Discover: http://taste.md/1P9UuDM