SLOW COOKER BLACK EYED PEAS
1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
1 lb Black Eyed Peas, soaked 4 to 8 hours
1 Ham Hock or Ham Shank, (smoked for best flavor)
1 lg Onion, chopped
1 Bay Leaf
1 Jalapeño (optional) seeded and diced
1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
2 (3″) sprigs Fresh Rosemary
2 slices Thick Cut Bacon, roughly chopped
5 cloves Garlic, pressed or minced
5 cups Chicken Broth, low sodium
Add These Later
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt (or 1 tsp table salt)
2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 big handfuls Collard Greens (optional) chopped
1. Add the soaked and drained Black Eyed Peas to a 6 qt or larger slow cooker.
2. Pour in the broth, then add the ham hock, bacon, onion, bay leaf, rosemary, jalapeño, garlic, smoked paprika, and thyme. Stir.
3. Place lid on the crock and cook on high for 4 hours or Low for 6 hours.
4. Then add the salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and collards, if using. Stir well.
5. Cook another 1 to 2 hours, or until beans are done and meat comes off of the bone easily. Time will vary by how long you soaked the beans and if you are using High or Low temp on your slow cooker.
6. Remove the bay leaf and rosemary stems. Taste and adjust salt, if needed.
7. Serve over rice, or as is in a bowl.
Recipe by: Simply Happy Foodie