- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup water(warm)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 4 1/2 cups flour
1. As with all the bread start off by activating my yeast. In a bowl pour in your yeast,sugar and honey
Pour in your warm water and mix up well. Let this mixture sit for about 8 minutes to allow for the yeast to proof. After 8 minutes foam should have formed on top of the mixture,this is a sign of a successful proof. In a bowl mix in your flour,salt and the yeast mixture. In a pan,heat together your butter and your milk. Pour this butter milk into our flour,divide your flour into half.
2. Mix this up well until consistent. Crack in your egg and continue mixing. Add in the remaining flour slowly until the dough is no longer sticky. Pour this up in a floured surface for kneading. Knead our dough for not less than 8 minutes until the dough is consistent and smooth. The dough should be elastic and doesn’t break when pulled, place this in an oiled bowl and cover up with a paper foil. Place this in a warm place and the dough rise until it doubles in size,this should take about 2 hours.
**I usually place this in my oven with only the oven lights on.**
3. After two hours the dough should have doubled in size, punch this down and proceed to knead for a further 4 minutes. Divide this up into 8 equal pieces, shape them using your palm into a round shape as possible. Place the dough in a well greased baking tray. Cover the dough up with paper foil and slow them to rise. Approximately 30 minutes.
4. As the buns continue to rise,crack an egg into a bowl and mix it with 1 tablespoon of water. Using a brush,brush your buns with this egg wash,this will allow for nice browning of our buns. Sprinkle sesame seeds on your buns,poppy seeds also do justice to this buns. You can have a mixture of the two on one bun,it’d just be heavenly.
5. Place this in a preheated oven at 200 degrees celcius. Bake this up for 25 minutes. When done take out and let your buns cool.
Recipe by: We Men Should Cook