For The Beans:
- 1 pound (500 g) fresh green beans rinsed, trimmed and halved
For The Soup:
- ¼ cup Marsala wine OPTIONAL — (use any dry red or white wine)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black cracked pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream (half and half or evaporated milk)
1 cube beef bouillon crumbled
- 1 onion diced
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons butter (preferably reduced fat)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces (170 g) French’s fried onion rings divided
- 12 ounces (340 g) brown or cremini mushrooms sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Bring 2 quarts (litres) of salted water to the boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add beans and boil for about 5 minutes.
2. Drain in a colander and quickly immerse beans in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Cook garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in wine (if using) and allow to cook for 3 minutes. Sprinkle mushrooms with flour, mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low, season with salt, pepper and crumbled bouillon. Stir in the cream or half and half. Cook until the soup thickens (about 4-5 minutes). Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked green beans with half of the onions. Top with the remaining onions.
5. Bake until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
Recipe by: Cafe Delites