- 1 and 3/4 cups [350g] of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of orange extract
- 1 tablespoon [15g] of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon [6g] of salt
- 2 and 3/4 cups [350g] of refined sugar
- 2 teaspoons of orange peel zest [I used zest of 2 oranges]
- 3 cups [420g] of wheat flour
- 3/4 cup [177ml] of natural orange juice [more or less than 3 oranges].
- 8 whole eggs
Topping ingredients: [optional]
- 1 cup of impalpable sugar;
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of water or orange juice.
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Butter and flour a 25 cm diameter by 10 cm high pan. Whisk to discard excess flour. Reserve. In a mixer, at medium low speed and using a racket beater, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar little by little and beat until you get a light cream and fire.
2. Add the eggs, one by one, beating after each addition. Add the orange zest as well. In another bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture, alternating with the orange juice.
3. Beat until smooth. Pass the dough into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake for 35 minutes. After that, lower the oven to 150 degrees and bake for another 45 minutes, or until you stick a wooden toothpick in the center it comes out dry *. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes. Unmold the cake on a wire rack and let it cool completely.
To the roof:
In a small bowl place the sugar and water [or orange juice] and mix well, until smooth, homogeneous and shiny. Spread it on the cake and let it dry.
**If you choose to make half a recipe, bake the cake at 170 degrees for about 40 minutes.**
Recipe by: A Cozinha Coletiva