For the dough
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup hot milk
- 4 cups flour , sifted
For the stuffing
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 green bell pepper , cut into small cubes
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tomatoes , peeled, seeded and cut into small cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Stand mixer
- Rolling pin
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and active dry yeast and mix well.
Dig a well in the center of this mixture and add the yogurt and oil.
2. While kneading at medium speed, pour the milk gradually, then add the salt and knead until obtaining a homogeneous dough.
3. Cover and let the dough rest at room temperature and away from drafts for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Brown the onion for 1 minute. Add the ground meat and the rest of the ingredients, then mix well. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Set aside.
1. Dust flour on a work surface, then divide the dough into 12 pieces and form balls. Roll each ball thinly using a rolling pin, to a thickness of about ½ inch (1 cm).
2. Place 4 tablespoons of the minced meat mixture in the center. Fold the dough to close the dumpling in the shape of a semicircle. Repeat this process with the rest of the meat and dough. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180°C).
3. Brush the stuffed buns with a little olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve the hot hawawshi with a green salad and tahini.
Recipe by: 196 Flavors