- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth or water
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic
For serving (optional):
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced
1. Prepare the following, placing them all in the same bowl: Dice 1 medium yellow onion. Core, seed, and dice 1 red and 1 green bell pepper. Mince 3 garlic cloves.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 6-quart or larger Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add 1 pound ground beef, season with 1 teaspoon of the kosher salt, and use a wooden spoon to break it up into large pieces. Let the beef brown undisturbed for 4 to 5 minutes. Break the beef up into smaller pieces and continue to cook until mostly cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook until softened, 7 to 8 minutes.
3. Add 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 2 tablespoons chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, the remaining 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and stir to coat the beef. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes and their juices and 1 1/2 cups beef broth or water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered until the flavors meld, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare any desired toppings like diced avocado, thinly sliced scallions, and fresh cilantro leaves.
5. Remove the chili from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar. Serve topped with the avocado, scallions, and cilantro if desired.
Recipe by: The Kitchn