For the cinnamon sugar topping
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the chocolate sauce
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the french toast
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 large Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs
- 8 thick slices french bread, preferably day-old or stale (1 large loaf)
1. Make the cinnamon sugar topping: In a wide shallow bowl or plate, add granulated sugar, light brown sugar and ground cinnamon. Mix together with a spoon to combine.
2. Make the chocolate sauce: In a small pot, add semi sweet chocolate chips, heavy cream, ground cinnamon and vanilla. Heat on stove over low-medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate has fully melted.
3. Make the egg mixture: In a large bowl, add eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Whisk together until fully combined.
4. Prepare the skillet: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
5. Soak the bread: Dip 2 slices of bread into the egg mixture to coat both sides. The bread should absorb some of the egg, but don’t leave it in too long because it could make the bread soggy.
6. Cook: Shake off any excess egg mixture and cook bread on both sides until egg is cooked through and outside is lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side.
7. Cover with cinnamon sugar: Dip the french toast into the cinnamon sugar mixture and coat both sides. Place on a sheet pan and loosely tent it with aluminum foil to keep warm.
8. Repeat steps 4 through 7 to cook remaining french toast.
9. Serve immediately with chocolate sauce and more cinnamon sugar if desired
Recipe by: Isabel Eats