- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper – diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, about 5-6 cloves
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce – chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- 1 pinch black pepper, plus more as needed
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large eggs
- chopped cilantro – for serving
- avocado slices – for serving
1. Heat oven to 375°F. While oven is heating up, heat oil in a large cast iron or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell peppers. Cook until very soft and beginning to caramelize, about 20 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, chipotle pepper, cumin, paprika, salt and black pepper. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in cotija cheese, then gently crack eggs on top of the tomato mixture. Season the eggs with a little more salt and pepper.
4. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, about 10 minutes. Top with chopped cilantro, sliced avocados.
Recipe by: Isabel Eats