- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 medium jalapeno*, seeded and minced (1/4 cup)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 (32 oz) carton Swanson Chicken Broth
- 1 (15 oz can) tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped yellow onion (1 small)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (I use breast and thigh meat)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese or Monterey jack cheese
- 4 oz. corn tortilla strips**, or tortilla chips slightly crushed
- diced avocado (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeno and saute until nearly soft, about 6 – 7 minutes.
2. Add garlic, chili powder and cumin and saute 1 minute.
3. Pour in chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and corn. Bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium, cover and let simmer 5 – 10 minutes.
4. Stir in chicken, black beans, cilantro and lime. Season soup with salt and pepper as needed.
5. Ladle into bowls top with tortilla chips, cheese and optional avocado or sour cream.
Recipe by: Cooking Classy