- 1 inch ginger, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon corn flour or all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 kg beef short ribs, cut along the bone
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large carrots, cut into huge chunks
- 3½ cups hot water
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- Black pepper
1. Start by seasoning the short ribs generously with salt and black pepper. Dissolve the stocks cubes in hot water and set aside. Heat your pan over medium high heat. Add the oil . Once the oil is hot, using tongs gently place the beef short ribs seasoned side down.
2. Season the top side with salt and black pepper. Once the bottom is beautifully browned turn and repeat the searing process for all the sides. Set aside the seasoned short ribs. In the same pan, over medium heat add the onions and cook until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a minute. Add the tomato paste, cook for a minute while stirring.
3. Add the garam masala, paprika, bay leaves and the rosemary springs. Stir to combine. Take about 1 cup of the stock and add to the pan to deglaze it. Use a wooden spoon to loosen all the brown bits stuck to the pan. Add the contents of the pan into the pressure cooker, the seared beef short ribs, the carrots and the rest of the stock.
4. Let it come to a boil then cover the pressure cooker as per your user’s manual. Let it cook over low heat for about 2 hours. Once the time is up. Release the pressure of the cooker, taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Make a paste with cold water and corn flour / all purpose flour.
5. Add the paste in the pot and over medium heat stir it in and let it cook for a minute or two. Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves and rosemary sprigs. Serve over creamy garlic mashed and enjoy.
Recipe by: Leo Tunapika?