- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 14 tablespoons dry butter (divided)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Stand mixer
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
1. Two hours before the start of the preparation of the croissants, take 10 tablespoons (150g) of dry butter out of the refrigerator and leave it at room temperature for 10 minutes. Using a rolling pin, spread the butter to an 8-inch (20 cm) square.Refrigerate immediately again (the butter should be very cold).
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, milk, water, and 4 tablespoons (50g) melted dry butter.
2. Knead at medium speed with the dough hook attachment, and knead for 15 minutes. The dough should come off the sides of the bowl.
Flour the work surface and rolling pin, then spread the dough into a rectangle of about 8 by 16 inches (20 cm x 40 cm). Place the rectangle of very cold butter in the middle of the rectangle of dough, then fold the two ends of dough over the butter so as to completely wrap it. With the fingertips, press on all the edges of the dough that surround the butter, so as to seal them well, and so that the butter does not escape during baking. Spread the dough in one direction, to obtain a rectangle of about 8 by 24 inches (20 cm x 60 cm).
3. Fold each end of dough in the middle, so that they meet and touch. Fold the dough in half, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Take the dough out of the refrigerator. Place it so that the fold is parallel to you and your work surface (so give it a quarter turn), and spread it out again into a rectangle of 8 by 24 inches. Fold it again in 4 (first the ends in the center, then fold the dough in 2). Wrap it again in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 30 minutes. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and spread it out in a large rectangle about ¼ inch thick.
4. Cut it into 4 or 5 isosceles triangles. Preheat the convection oven to 400°F / 200°C (or traditional to 425°F / 220°C). Take a triangle of dough and place the base of the triangle on your side and the tip outwards. Gently roll the dough from the base to the tip to obtain a croissant. Repeat the operation until the dough is used up. Place the croissants, well spaced, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Mix the egg yolk and the 2 tablespoons of milk and brush the croissants. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the desired result.
Recipe by: 196 Flavors